Monday, April 18, 2011

Lilies are toxic to Cats!

All parts of the lily plant (leaves, petals, bulbs, even the pollen!)are considered toxic to cats and consuming even small amounts can be life threatening. Within a few hours of ingestion of the lily plant, a cat may vomit, become lethargic or develop a lack of appetite. These signs continue and worsen as kidney damage progresses. Without prompt and proper treatment by a veterinarian, the cat may develop kidney failure in 36 to72 hours.

I continue to be surprised at the number of people who do not know that the Easter Lily is one of the most toxic plants to cats, and how the plants are not labeled with warnings! This time of year, every grocery store has huge displays of Easter candy, baskets, egg decorating kits and yes, Easter Lilies...all ready to be put in the homes of unsuspecting cat owners!

There are many nice alternatives to having lilies in the house (most lilies are toxic to cats, but not seen inside homes as often). Orchids, Easter cactus and violets are options, as are lovely artificial silk lilies.

Here is a link to more info:


  1. Thanks for that reminder! Our mom won't have Easter Lilies in the house because she's afraid we'd eat them!

  2. I didnt know this but I dont like easter lilies anyway--the smell. thanks for the heads up.

  3. I've only recently learned of this. Thank goodness that they have never been a favorite of mine hence they've not been in the house.

    I will tell her Dr. about the Fozamax treatment and the three ailments that patient has. Very interesting.

    Admiral goes back next Thursday for a blood test (and to be weighed) to see how she is progressing. I think for once it will be good news as the day I took delivery of the pills when we saw how the gel pen failed..she had lost from 7.7 to 7.3. This is down from 10.3 and 11.6 when she was younger.


I treasure your comments, and am glad you stopped by...
Comments are moderated on posts older than 1 day.